100 Guys Raised $15,600 for Lorain County Free Clinic

An anonymous donor heard that 100 Guys Who Care About Lorain County raised $4,600 from the October 9, 2014 meeting for Genesis House, also known as Lorain County Safe Harbor, which the domestic violence shelter will use to purchase fresh produce for residents during the year. Then the donor issued a challenge to the group: if the members raised $10,000 for the charity they would select at their January 8 meeting, the donor would write a check for $5,000 to the same charity.

100 Guys’ response: We can do this!

The Journey

Shortly after the meeting announcement went out, members invited friends and family to join the group which grew quickly. The Chronicle-Telegram ran a story on January 7 by Anna Menta on 100 Guys and its goal on which drew additional men to the meeting.

At the meeting, the attendees selected the Lorain County Free Clinic, nominated by Don Sheldon, the Clinic’s Medical Director, from among 3 nominees. Menta’s follow up story published on January 9 also attracted new members who made immediate donations.

Jim Leone (front left) and Spencer Ryan (front right) with Lorain County Free Clinic Executive Director Paul A. Baumgartner Jr. (center).  Dr. Don Sheldon, the Clinic's Medical Director who nominated the Clinic at the January 8th meeting, and clinic board President Ed Ruth are in the back.

Jim Leone (front left) and Spencer Ryan (front right) with Lorain County Free Clinic Executive Director Paul A. Baumgartner Jr. (center). Dr. Don Sheldon, the Clinic’s Medical Director who nominated the Clinic at the January 8th meeting, and clinic board President Ed Ruth are in the back.

The group raised $10,300 and the anonymous donor added the $5,000 check which were delivered to the Clinic on February 13. An additional $300 in checks was sent to the Clinic on March 5 to bring the total contributed to $15,600.

The 100 Women Who Care About Lorain County also chose the Clinic at their January meeting. They raised $10,000.

Special thanks to both The Chronicle-Telegram and The Morning Journal for their coverage of the fundraising challenge.  (See links to the articles and video at the end of this post.)

Lorain County Free Clinic

lc_free_clinicThis month, the clinic celebrates 28 years of service to the residents of Lorain County who cannot afford health care and often don’t qualify for Medicaid or Medicare.  In one of the articles published about the donation, the Clinic’s Executive Director Paul A. Baumgartner Jr., said the Clinic’s services would still be needed even if the goal of Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare) reaches its goal of seeing 95 percent of the population have coverage. 15,000 people in Lorain County could comprise the remaining 5 percent.

The Clinic provides $3.6 million of medical services were provided by volunteers to the residents of Lorain County on a budget of about $380,000. Their website lists ways people can help, including several fundraisers in the spring and summer.

Recent stories published about 100 Guys Who Care About Lorain County

“100 Guys Seek Charity Funds,” by Anna Menta, The Chronicle-Telegram, January 7, 2015, page A2.

“100 Guys Set to Raise $10,000 for Charity,” by Anna Menta, The Chronicle-Telegram, January 9, 2015, page B1.

Caring Men and Women Help Free Clinic by Giving $25K,” by Anna Merriman, The Chronicle-Telegram, February 14, 2015, page A1 and A2.

“100 Guys Who Care Donate $15.3K to Lorain County Free Clinic,” by Richard Payerchin, The Morning Journal, February 14, 2015, page A3.

“100 Guys Who Care About #Lorain County donate $15,300 to #LC Free Clinic” YouTube video by Richard Payerchin.